Search This Blog

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Buffalo Lake Provincial Park


Son and Mom had left home an hour behind the scheduled 1PM on Saturday afternoon, without the campfire sandwich maker - a potentially fatal error. Arrived at Rochon Sands,walk-in tenting spot #33 - what a lovely spot. #32 and #31 would have been perfect too.) The big problem was the fish were not biting a bit. What to do? Quote some Corner Gas and make campfire pies in the cast iron. Use cherry pie filling, cream cheese and a large marshmallow for the middle.

Oliver tried fishing. After our cucumber and sausage supper, we found old friends sitting at a propane campfire who taught us the "white rabbit, white rabbit, I hate white rabbits" saying for when smoke gets in your eyes. 

In the night the hard and drunken party people wrapped it up early with some encouragement from security. Coyotes yipping echoed off the water so loud it sounded like they were camped in the spots beside us. The urgent chatter of birds hung pleasant in the air.

My eyelids closed before I spied the stars, but there likely were few to see in the night's cloudy sky above roller coaster hills out in cow and rock country. We found the drizzly weather perfect for our first night tenting this season. 

Recommended Corner Gas Episode: Lacey Borrows. In particular, 
Emma: "You know who I blame,I blame myself..." 
Oscar: "Oh, I was going to blame the hippies, but if you want to take the rap for it, fine by me."

No comments:

Post a Comment